We meet nine times each year, traditionally on the third Saturday of each month, from September and through May. Some of our meetings are social and others feature a keynote speaker or activity designed to enlighten us and expand our thinking in areas related to our mission. General (Branch) meetings are open to the public.
Upcoming Branch meetings:
- September 19, 2020 – Welcome Back DIY Brunch Meeting – Zoom 10.00 am– Spotlighting interest groups, 2020 Scholarship and Tech Trek participants, introduction of new members and planning for the 2020/2021 AAUW year.
- October 17, 2020 – A Century of Change for American Women – Dr. Mona Siegel, Sac State history professor will present “Mary Church Terrell’s Global Campaign for Women’s Rights and Racial Justice” the story of a remarkable international suffragist, civil rights activist and AAUW member. Zoom meeting – 10:00 am
- November 21, 2020 – In Concert Sierra – Music and Education Programs – AAUW members and InConcert Board members Barbara Drew and Robin Laverty-Reves will discuss the mission of InConcert, followed by Mark Vance, Education Director, and a student showcasing the process of composing and sharing a beautiful musical example. Zoom meeting – 10:00 am
- December 12, 2020 – Holiday gathering? – TBA
The party, when held, will be a celebration of not just the holiday season but a chance to reunite and socialize. We can experience the joy of coming together once again in friendship. Stay tuned and check the Lodestone and here for updates.
- January 30, 2021–“Domestic & Sexual Violence – How It Touches Us All” A Public Awareness Forum presented by AAUW-Nevada County Branch and Community Beyond Violence
- February 20, 2021 – “Educating the Girls of Rajasthan” – AAUW member Alicia Funk discusses her trip to India and the efforts of a non-profit to help educate village girls.
- March 20, 2021 – Women/s History Month –A Celebration of Women in Medicine –
A look at the key role of women responsible for health care in Nevada County by our local healthcare experts.
- April 17, 2021 –Elder Abuse – A panel presentation discussing the types of elder abuse – including abandonment, financial abuse, isolation, neglect, physical and psychological abuse– and the resources to address those issues.
- May 15, 2021 – Installation Luncheon – TBA
Before COVID-19 disrupted our lives, general Branch meetings were held every third Saturday, at 9:30 AM, at Peace Lutheran Church, 828 West Main, Grass Valley
The 2019-2020 meeting year was cut short as follows:
- CANCELED: March 21, 2020: Tech Trekkers & Scholarship Recipients
- POSTPONED: Was to have been April 4, 2020. This Public Forum on Domestic and Sexual Violence will be rescheduled for 2021.
- Thursday, May 21, 2020, sheltering in place still, AAUW Board members, appointed officers, and standing committee chairs were installed via a Zoom meeting. Outgoing President Virginia Horowitz led the meeting, paying tribute to newly installed President Bup Greenwood and named gift honorees. Pictured are those who could attend, which also included outgoing Board members.
In addition to Bup Greenwood, the Branch elected officers for the 2020-21 year include Melanie Heckel, Secretary; Jennifer Wilkerson, Finance Officer; Bernadette Sylvester and Penny Savelly, Program, Co-Vice Presidents (VPs); Francesca Erickson and Jo Ann Schilling, AAUW Funds Co-VPs; and Karen Smith and Shirley Zeff, Membership Co-VPs. The Branch officially kick off its 2020 -2021 year in September.
In addition to the installation of the new officers, Edi Silverman award recipient Susie Monary-Wilson was honored by previous year’s recipient Stephanie Facchini.
For a complete list of the new Board, Appointed Officers, and Standing Committees, click here.
To view the Zoom Board Installation Meeting click here.