AAUW Nevada County Branch, established in 1937, is a mission- and action-based organization. Our mission is advancing equity for women and girls through advocacy, education, philanthropy, and research. Our actions focus on women and girls in Nevada County, but when a state or national effort impacts our county, we act at that level as well. Our goals, values, and policies are spelled out as follows:
- MISSION STATEMENT: AAUW advances equity for women and girls through advocacy, education, philanthropy, and research.
- VALUE PROMISE: By joining AAUW, we belong to a community that breaks through education and economic barriers so that all women have a fair chance.
VISION STATEMENT: AAUW will be a powerful advocate and visible leader in equity and education through research, philanthropy, and measurable change in critical areas impacting the lives of women and girls.
- IMAGE STATEMENT: AAUW is California’s most active and diverse organization offering action for equity, personal and professional growth, community leadership, and friendship.
- PRINCIPLES: Since 1881, AAUW has been the nation’s leading voice promoting education and equity for women and girls. AAUW values and seeks a diverse membership. If you hold an associate or equivalent, bachelor, or higher degree from a regionally accredited college or university, you can join. There shall be no barriers to full participation in this organization on the basis of gender, race, creed, age, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, or class.
- POLICY ON CANDIDATE ENDORSEMENTS: AAUW neither supports nor opposes candidates for partisan or elective office. The Branch may choose to endorse candidates for nonpartisan office in accord with Branch policies and procedures..
Supporting Community/State Efforts
STEAM Expo for Students
In 2019, for a third year in a row, AAUW Nevada County was among the organizations and companies participating in the Nevada County Superintendent of Schools (NCSOS) STEAM Expo for students throughout the county, and their familiy and friends.
Through posters and product displays, the branch brought home the message of women’s role in science, technology, engineering, art, and math (STEAM).
Advocacy at Work: Equal Pay Day at the Capitol